We were lucky to spend a few more days at Whipple dam last week. We had so much fun building and smashing sand castles, swimming in the water, and catching salamanders. Hudson loved getting to splash around with some of his friends. We were so lucky to get another week with temperatures in the eighties! We also found a cute little ice cream shop near by, and no one complained about that!
| Ellie thought it was so funny to drink the dirty water. YUCKY!!! |
On Saturday we took the kids to a nature centre to see snakes, turtles, and birds of prey. The kids enjoyed seeing the birds up close during the bird show. Ellie was so excited and would shriek at all the birds so loud I was afraid she was going to upset them. Nothing makes Ellie more excited then seeing animals. Even a fuzzy caterpillar I caught on the trail outside sent her into of fit of excitement. This all changed however, when we were at the snake exhibit. The kids stood face to face watching the big venomous snakes encased in large glass tanks with interest. Suddenly one of them lunged at the glass and sent them all into hysterical screams. After the realization that he was safe, Hudson seemed to enjoy the snakes even more. He would run up to the glass and then excitedly scream with joy at the smallest movement from this new creature. Ellie's couldn't get over "the attack". She would scream with horror if we even went in the direction of the snake tanks. Suddenly even the turtles were terrible frightening creatures. We had to take her outside to get her to calm down. It was funny, but made me a little sad. I hope she doesn't lose her love of creatures.
The rest of the weekend left me on a spiritual high. On Saturday night the kids got to stay home with Jake while I went to a Women's Conference viewing with some friends. I will admit that often times I don't go to these activities because I hate missing time that I could spend with Jake. I just love being with my husband! I'm really glad I went though. I enjoyed all of the talks, but as always it was especially good to listen to President Monson. Sunday was even more of a spiritual feast for me. I am SO enjoying primary! I can't say that the sharing time lesson was anything extraordinary, but the spirit in the room was so strong I fought to keep my eyes dry most of the time. A couple of the young men and women came to help out and they had that quality of power and beauty that only comes from truly knowing that you are a child of god. It is the very thing I want most for my children. I'm thankful my heavenly father blessed me with a much needed refocus to that goal; especially after a week where I admit that I obsessively read the entire Hunger Games Trilogy.
All in all we had a wonderful week. The crazy con men moved out of our house and I think we escaped with only losing the lost rent, some garden hoses, and the unpaid utilities. Which is actually a lot of money, but I am choosing to feel lucky that it isn't more. Jake took a trip to DC for school. He is really enjoying his classes and work at the University. We are all very happy. The kids just keep learning and growing. Ellie adds words to her vocabulary daily it seems. I was especially excited when she started requesting cheese by name. At least we will have one shared interest, ha ha. She also finally cut her top molars, so I'm hoping for at least a little break from the teething grumpies. Hudson can't wait for his birthday. Well, in truth he can't wait for his birthday cake. For as long as I can remember we have had daily conversations about the train cake he is going to be having for his birthday. I sure hope the one I make doesn't disappoint. Thats a lot of pressure! Ha Ha. Also, my cough is finally starting to go away! I was beginning to think it never would! Life is good. I'm so thankful for the people I get to spend it with!

I'm a little jealous of all your new adventures. I'm so glad you guys are having a great time out there, exploring your new world! You and Jake are inspiring parents. I think you guys are wonderful! But I have to disagree with you about summer vs. fall. I'm SO SO SO ready for fall weather!
ReplyDelete