Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Weekend in New York



Hill Cumorah Pageant


The highlight of our week was our adventure up into New York. We didn’t want to miss the opportunity of seeing Hill Cumorah Pageant while we lived so close, we decided to make the four hour drive to Palmyra and catch the show on opening night. The drive was a little rough. The kids were whiny and the AC in our car was not working, which didn’t help my patience. We arrived two hours before the show and I could not believe how packed the place was. Even with the chaos, and the hoards of people I was amazed at how happy and peaceful I felt as soon as we arrived. It truly is a special place and the spirit there is so strong. The show didn’t start until 9:15, and I was a little worried about how the kids would handle such a late night. They ended up being really good for the entire show. They were both really interested in what was going on. Hudson was especially full of questions, and although I don’t know how much of it he will remember as he grows, I’m certain it made an impression he won’t forget.

While up in the Finger Lakes region of New York we decided to stay and explore one of its most famous state parks. We camped at Watkins Glen State Park, which is near the south shore of Lake Seneca. What a beautiful place! Actually we were amazed at how pretty the whole area was with its enormous lake and many vineyards that cover the countryside. Watkins Glen has a large gorge that reminded us of the narrows in southern Utah, except it is lime stone, and full of waterfalls and lush vegetation. It was one of the most beautiful hikes I have ever been on, and we will have to add it to the list of our favorite places.

It was a lot of fun and our first camping experience since we moved here. We have a few things to learn. For instance early in the day we set up our tent and got our bedding all laid out and ready. Unfortunately, by the time we got in to go to sleep, all of our bedding was damp due to the humidity. Sleeping in a damp bed wasn’t very comfortable, thankfully the kids didn’t seem to mind and they both slept just fine.












We feel so lucky to have the opportunity to experienced so many amazing things while we are out here!

No comments:

Post a Comment