Monday, April 9, 2012

One Last Trip to Poe Valley


Since we set a move date I find that I am already starting to say goodbye to people who have been a big part of our lives. Even as excited as we are to get home it is hard for me to think about leaving here. We have loved our time here and made some wonderful friendships. I find that I am even a little sad when I visit places here I love.  Jake had a little extra work to finish up at one of the state parks he studied so we made an afternoon outing out of it.  Our little family spent a good deal of time at Poe Valley State Park last summer and it made me really sad to see it and know that it was probably the last time. Despite my mourning, it was still a wonderful afternoon of hiking and playing in the sand.  






The Tale of the Rocks
  As we were hiking along the shore, Hudson started to fall in love with nearly every rock he saw. He packed them around with him until he no longer could manage and began placing them in a pile he referred to as his rock collection. Nearby, Jake started to skip rocks across the water and Hudson decided he wanted to give it a try. He picked up one of his prize rocks and lobbed it into the lake.  Suddenly, the connection was made that his rock would not be coming back. You could see a mixture of panic and terror come across his face. In a hysterical craze he ran for the water as fast as he could and attempted to retrieve his rock. Even the icy water had little effect of detracting him from his frantic search. Thankfully, Jake thought to pretend to find one just like it and Hudson was appeased for a moment until we delivered the crushing news that the rocks would not be coming home with us. I tried to appeal to him by telling him we would take this picture of the rocks so we could keep it forever and he seemed ok with my proposal until it came time to actually say goodbye. He was one heart broken little guy. Good thing he was so busy applying his classic Charlie Brown pout to see that his parents were laughing and not sharing his pain. I guess I’m not the only one having a hard time saying good bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment